Saturday 14 June 2008

Life Under Pressure - research into the effects of living beneath the sea

It has become apparent in recent months that the effects of barometric pressure distort the life sustaining capabilities of the air the we breath. Operating at the depths of the sea bed in the Vernian Sea is difficult at best but has proven quite dangerous for my labourers and myself over sustained periods. During the construction of my undersea building, also known as Ægir's hall, I used steam labour wherever possible but until such time as the steam grid itself was connected and made live I had no choice but to employ human labour. We lost 3 men to the ravages of the ocean, a small cost I am told for an engineering project such as this but it hangs heavy about my neck. Three men, one of whom had a family to support, a role which I am now providing for as I will not see people thrown out upon the "charity" of the workhouse at my doing, were lost and many other injured while all of us were at times rendered unwell by various effects.

The apparently low cost in lives I can to some extent associate with the work patterns that I have enforced, patterns shaped by the research, recently published by great minds such as M. Paul Bert of the Sorbonne who in particular has informed me greatly as to the mysteries of the maladies that we have faced and who while documenting the effects of compression on the body built upon the work of the brave young Dr. Alphonse Gal whose early work was based upon his own experimentation using a steam powered air pump of primitive design and studies of sponge divers in Greece. Bert and Gal's research helps to categorise and explain the maladies associated with breathing air at abnormal pressures and gives explanations to those effects noted by Triger earlier in this century in Caisson miners, a line of work not too dissimilar to our own undertakings in the depths of the Vernian.

I will write more on this in days to come as I need, right now, to continue work on my solution to some of my problems rather than recording them for posterity.

Writing and studying in my Vernian Sea office at the top of Aegir's hall. M. Paul Bert's work on Barometric pressure is close at hand.

No comments: